- Proficiency working with web development technologies and standards such as HTML5, CSS3 and frameworks such as Bootstrap.
- Proficiency working with WordPress content management system through blog found at johndewees.com.
- Proficiency working with the Omeka content management system through fan project found at johndeweeslibrary.com.
- Proficiency implementing the Dublin Core metadata standard.
- 2014 – Present: Recorder of Ohio State University Libraries Staff Advisory Council.
The Ohio State University Libraries
2006 — Present
Library Associate 1
- Maintain the largest closed reserves collection at OSU libraries, servicing the most diverse set of departments and colleges in the university.
- Create metadata through the Sierra ILS on a daily basis through the creation of bibliographic, item and reserve records.
- Establish documentation and procedures for closed reserves work in the Sierra ILS.
- Develop workflows for what is frequently a self-guided position.
- Train, supervise and delegate to student employees inside Thompson Library.
Upper Arlington Public Library
2016 — Present
Public Services Associate
- Assists patrons in searching for music and films in the library collection, both at UAPL and in the Central Library Consortium.
- Provides information and training relating to library computers and software and informational services offered by the library such as Hoopla, Zinio, and OverDrive.
- Maintains excellent customer service standards in assisting with library patrons and ensuring that their informational, educational and recreational needs are satisfied.
Ohio State University Rare Books and Manuscripts Library
- Organized the personal papers of a prominent author into a usable, archives-ready collection.
- Collaborated with the special collections processing coordinator to ensure that all work was consistent with department policies and adapted as necessary.
- Worked with the Archive Space content management platform and knowledge of DACS metadata schema.
- Prepared materials for distribution including badges and bags.
- Acted as room control, checking badges and staffing doors to congress sessions.
- Provided information services to attendees asking general questions about the conference or city.
OSU Libraries Preservation and Reformatting (Digital Imaging)
- 2016 – present
- Working to digitize materials for preservation and access by patrons of OSU Libraries.
- Utilizing Epson flatbed scanner for capture of images and EPSON Scan for initial image capture and processing.
- Post-processing of images accomplished through use of Adobe Photoshop and Bridge for editing of preservation quality TIFF images and creation of access images for use in publicly facing repositories.
- Utilizing Indus BookScanner 9000 and associated Virtual Library Software for image capture and post-processing.
- Creation of ebooks in PDF format and OCR accomplished through Adobe Acrobat.
- Utilizing Phase One camera system and Capture One editing software for photography of large format items and delicate manuscripts both freehand and on a copy stand.
OSU Libraries Preservation and Reformatting (Conservation)
- 2011 – 2013
- Worked with a variety of media including periodicals, books and artwork.
- Utilized a variety of conservation techniques including mending with dry adhesive tissues, encapsulation, surface cleaning, and removal of old adhesives with solvents.
Master of Library and Information Science
2012 — 2014
Kent State University
- Focus on digital libraries, digital preservation and digital curation as well as metadata standards and web development.
- Gained an understanding of the technological, financial, and policy needs for the life-cycle management of digital objects.
- Gained experience working with the DSpace and Greenstone content management platforms.
- Gained experience working with Dublin Core, PREMIS, and NISO Technical Metadata for Digital Still Images metadata standards.
- Worked with Xena file normalization software and DRAMBORA risk assessment program.
Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy
2002 — 2009
The Ohio State University
- Developed critical thinking skills and ability to pick apart statements for logical consistency and cogency.
- Developed the ability to tease out salient points from otherwise dense and difficult documents.
Grants and Awards
- Ohio Preservation Council Professional Development Grant (2016)
- ALCTS/PARS Jan Merrill-Oldham Professional Development Grant (2017)
- Fundamentals of Cataloging: Introduction and Basic Description (August 13, 2015)
- Fundamentals of Cataloging: Serials (September 10, 2015)
- Fundamentals of Cataloging: Common A/V Formats (October 1, 2015)
- Fundamentals of Cataloging: Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers (November 12, 2015)
- Building Blocks of Interpersonal Communication (June 20, 2016)
- Become a Trusted Librarian: Tactics and Service Models that Build Relationships (September 26, 2016)
- Overview of Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers (November 15, 2016)
- Discovering Discovery Layers: Discovery Software in Libraries (January 24, 2017)
- Oral Histories: Care and Preservation from the Start (October 4, 2016)
- Metadata for Digitization and Preservation (November 1-2, 2016)
- Digital Preservation Toolbox – Metadata Manipulation (November 8, 2016)
- Preservation of Photographic Materials (December 13-14, 2016)
- Archival Appraisal for the Non-Archivist (December 15, 2016)
John Glenn College of Public Affairs, Management Advancement for the Public Service (MAPS)
- Adept at Adapting (November 10, 2016)
- American Library Association
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Academic Library Association of Ohio
- OHIODIG (Ohio Digitization Interest Group)
- Ohio Preservation Council