Master of Library and Information Science
Kent State University • 2012 – 2014
Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy
The Ohio State University • 2002 – 2009
University of Rochester, River Campus Libraries
Digital Asset Management Lead • 2021-10-25 – Present
- Develops and manage the policy and workflows for digital asset management systems and services in collaboration with a range of library staff and departments; test and recommend changes as the repository platforms mature
- Creates and maintains effective quality control standards to ensure repositories’ content is accurate, reliable, and added in a timely manner, so that library staff and researchers receive the support and access they require
- Collaborates with external and internal service providers and vendors to resolve technical issues and make improvements to repository platforms. Monitors support effectiveness and ensure efficient and relevant support is available to all repository users
- Develops and runs reports on data ingests, checksums, system milestones, data audits, data migrations, and other system and data analysis needs
- Maintains expertise and awareness of developments in preservation and scholarly repositories, repository management, research information systems, and open access publishing, providing guidance to others on their relevance and application
- Supervises the day-to-day activities of the Digital Assets Analyst. Develops and executes department and individual goals and objectives.
- Partners with staff to promote the repositories and their associated services, including delivering campus presentations and training assistance to campus communities
Toledo Lucas County Public Library
Supervisor Digitization Services • 2018-02-05 – 2021-10-14
- Responsible for supporting the creation, maintenance, and stewardship of all digital and digitized resources added to CONTENDdm collections as a member of a consortial statewide digital library, Ohio Memory, with over 110,000 records and counting
- Implemented a formal project management system with Basecamp to manage a team of four librarians and clerks conducting digitization projects, as well as a dashboard for statistics tracking (static PDF Version)
- Partners with librarians on collection development and outreach to the community to uncover resources for historic preservation
- Experienced in the use of digitization equipment from I2S, Kirtas, Epson, and Nikon, as well as software such as the Adobe Creative suite, YooScan, LIMB, and FastStone
- Generates workflows for digitization activities and detailed documentation for their implementation, taking into consideration privacy, copyright, and physical conservation
- Experienced in the creation of Dublin Core metadata and development of documentation for specific project needs
- Develops resources to support training and education of users and make digital content more accessible to the public
- Coordinates with Ohio Digital Network, Ohio’s DPLA service hub, for inclusion of digital assets in the Digital Public Library of America, and the single largest Ohio contributor
- Developed technical expertise on platforms including CONTENTdm, Omeka, the Internet Archive, and Archive-It to develop and evolve collections for different needs
- Developing systems and policies for long term preservation of digitized materials
- Acts as consultant, technical expert, and service provider for area libraries, archives, and history museums to digitize and grow their collections through our role as an LSTA grant funded digihub, a service network established by the State Library of Ohio
- Established board approved policies (Intellectual Properties Policy) for intellectual property considerations regarding digitized resources
The Ohio State University Libraries
Library Associate 2 • 2006-03-20 – 2018-01-30
- Continually supported a collection of 300 or more classes working with individual faculty members to achieve their goals of more affordable and open access to resources
- Responsible for developing workflows and creating detailed documentation
- Consulted with other closed reserves departments across campus libraries on best practices and training
- Developed the interpersonal skills that have been key to my growth, to act with courtesy to students and faculty, providing knowledgeable, timely and reliable service
- Generated metadata for educational resources including books, DVDs, and more
- Developed alternative avenues for searching closed reserves through LibGuides, allowing more robust searching and the integration of digital and physical resources
Upper Arlington Public Library
Public Services Associate • 2016-02-01 – 2018-01-29
- Assisted patrons in searching for music and films in the library collection, both at Upper Arlington Public Library and in the Central Library Consortium
- Provided information and training relating to library computers and software and services offered by the library such as Hoopla, Zinio, and OverDrive
- Provided consistently excellent customer service in assisting patrons and ensuring their informational, educational, and recreational needs were satisfied
Ohio State University Rare Books and Manuscripts Library
Intern • 2014
- Organized the personal papers of Hugh Nissenson into a usable, archives-ready collection
- Collaborated with the special collections processing coordinator to ensure that all work was consistent with departmental policies and adapted as necessary
- Worked with the ArchivesSpace content management platform to create finding aid using Describing Archives: A Content Standard metadata schema
Ohio State University Libraries, Digital Imaging Lab
2016-02-03 – 2017-08-16
- Worked to digitize materials for preservation and access with Phase One camera system
- Handled a wide variety of materials including rare books, photographs and early photographic processes such as daguerreotypes and ambrotypes, newspapers, maps, and realia
- Created of preservation images and ebooks using Adobe suite of software
IFLA World Library and Information Congress
Columbus, Ohio • 2016
Ohio State University Libraries, Conservation Lab
2012 – 2014
- Worked with a variety of media including periodicals, books, and artwork
- Utilized a variety of conservation techniques including mending with dry adhesive tissues, encapsulation, surface cleaning, and removal of adhesive residue with solvents
Grants & Awards
Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board Achievement Award
- Awarded to an Ohio institution making archival records available to the public which build significant collections, successfully preserve collections, enhance access, and develop effective digitization programs
- Awarded to the Toledo Lucas County Public Library for the organization’s work to preserve architectural record collections uniquely documenting the built environment in northwest Ohio
Ohio State University Staff Career Development Grant
- Awarded to an OSU staff member to support professional and career development.
- Used to purchase camera lenses to continue knowledge acquisition of cultural heritage photography.
Jan Merrill-Oldham Professional Development Grant
- Awarded at ALA Annual conferences by the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services
- Awarded to an individual with five or fewer years experience in library and archives preservation
- Consists of a citation and cash grant
Ohio Preservation Council Professional Development Grant
- Awarded to an individual seeking educational opportunities such as classes, workshops, or conference attendance
- Applications accepted twice per year, with two awards dispersed at each application window
- Used to enroll in five classes offered by Lyrasis to bolster preservation knowledge in a variety of areas
Presentations & Publications
“Using DPLA and the Wikimedia Foundation to Increase Usage of Digitized Resources.” Information Technology and Libraries. Peer-Reviewed Article. March 21, 2022. Co-Author
“Making Your DPLA Harvest Go Further.” Annual Meeting and Conference. Sponsored by the Ohio Local History Alliance and Society for Ohio Archivists. Virtual Conference. September 20, 2021. Co-Presenter.
“The Metadata Magic & the Ohio Digital Network.” OVGTSL 2021: Technical Services Today. Sponsored by the Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians. Virtual Conference. June 3, 2021. Panelist.
“Increasing Access to Materials through the Wikimedia Foundation and DPLA.” Meeting Topic: Digital Projects Virtual Poster Session. Ohio Digitization Interest Group. Virtual Meeting. May 27, 2021. Panelist.
“Increasing Access to Materials through the Wikimedia Foundation and DPLA.” Archivists Respond: 2021 Annual Meeting. Sponsored by the Midwest Archives Conference. May 13-14, 2021. Poster Presenter.
“Where They’re At: Enriching the Wikiverse with DPLA.” ODNFest 2020. Sponsored by the Ohio Digital Network. Virtual Conference. October 13, 2020. Co-Presenter.
“Putting Wikimedia to Work for Your Institution.” Network Brown Bag Series. Sponsored by DPLA. Webinar. October 8, 2020. Co-Presenter.
“Building a Community Photo Album.” Annual Meeting and Conference. Sponsored by the Ohio Local History Alliance and Society for Ohio Archivists. Virtual Conference. October 1, 2020. Sole Presenter.
“What the Wiki: Adding Content to the Wikiverse.” What the Wiki Series. Sponsored by the Ohio Digital Network. Webinar. August 27, 2020. Contributor.
“Exploring History Through Architecture.” Sunday Speaker Series. Sponsored by Lakeside Historical Society. Virtual Presentation. August 23, 2020. Sole Presenter.
“Using the Ohio Memory transcription tool.” Ohio Memory Partner Webinar Series. Sponsored by the Ohio History Connection. Webinar. August 20, 2020. Contributor
“Leveraging Repositories for Digital Projects.” Meeting Topic: Leveraging Repositories for Digital Projects (Part 2). Sponsored by the Ohio Digitization Interest Group. Virtual Meeting. July 23, 2020. Panelist.
“Getting Your Community Involved With Collection Building.” Annual Meeting. Sponsored by the Society of Ohio Archivists. Virtual Conference. June 16-17, 2020. Poster Presenter.
“One Attempt to Create a Digital Library From Scratch.” Ohio Archivist. Published by the Society of Ohio Archivists. Spring 2020 Issue. Pages 13 – 15.
“Librarians Run the Gamut: An Inside Look at Library Careers.” Spring Speaker Series webinar. Sponsored by the Kent State University ALA Student Chapter. Webinar. March 5, 2020. Panelist.
“Magical Metadata: How to prepare your metadata for ODN harvest.” ODNFest. Sponsored by the Ohio Digital Network. Columbus, Ohio. In-person Conference. October 15, 2019. Panelist.
“The State of Digital Collections in Ohio.” Convention and Expo. Sponsored by the Ohio Library Council. Cincinnati, Ohio. In-person Conference. September 27, 2019. Panelist.
“Digitization Options in Ohio.” Convention and Expo. Sponsored by the Ohio Library Council. Cincinnati, Ohio. In-person Conference. September 26, 2019. Moderator.
“What’s New at Ohio Digital Network.” Outreaching Working Group. Sponsored by the Ohio Digital Network. Webinar. August 28, 2019. Panelist.
“Street Photography at Scale: Photographically Documenting Neighborhoods.” Annual Meeting. Sponsored by the Society of Ohio Archivists. Akron, Ohio. In-person Conference. May 17, 2019. Poster presenter.
“Building Tools for Community-Driven Photo Collections.” Community Engagement @ Your Library: Creating Vibrant, Diverse and Inclusive Communities. Sponsored by the Ohio Library Council. Columbus, Ohio. In-person Conference. May 15, 2019. LIBchat presenter.
“Experimenting with IA.” Meeting topic: The Internet Archive: The Ways in Which We Use It. Sponsored by the Ohio Digitization Interest Group. Columbus, Ohio. In-person Meeting. January 9, 2019. Panelist.
“Creating a Digital Hub with CONTENTdm.” CONTENTdm Users Group Meeting. Sponsored by OCLC. Columbus, Ohio. In-person Conference. August 2, 2018. Panelist.
University of Rochester, River Campus Libraries
- Code: Python script for generation of PREMIS metadata files based on CSV input used to record digital asset creator, intellectual property rights, format migrations, and other data [GitHub Repository] 2022
- Code: Python scripts for migration of digital assets from Islandora via BagIt Utility Module to Preservica using OPEX/PAX incremental ingest and ArchivesSpace synchronization [GitHub Repository] 2022
Toledo Lucas County Public Library
- Code: Migration project for a legacy image database (Images in Time) using Python scripts to automate the metadata manipulation process and format it for ingest into CONTENTdm [GitHub Repository] (2020-2021)
- Code: Script to automate the process of generating monthly statistics from an Excel spreadsheet using Python to report digitization activities and upload counts [GitHub Repository] (2021)
- Digital Library: Local History and Genealogy Resources (2020)
- Digital Library: The Architecture of Northwest Ohio (2018)
- Project Lead: Federated Search across TLCPL digital collections and exhibits leveraging Internet Archive and CONTENTdm APIs for unified search [GitHub Repository] (2019)
- Project Lead: Geospatial Data Visualization displaying two CONTENTdm collection records with GPS coordinates on a map with record snippets and image previews [GitHub Repository] (2019)
- Project Lead: Timeline Data Visualization that displays two CONTENTdm collection records with links to corresponding decade [GitHub Repository] (2019)
- Project Lead: Slideshow dynamically updated to display latest submissions to community photo project [GitHub Repository] (2018)
- Project Lead: Twitter Automated Posting that pulls records using CONTENTdm and IIIF APIs from a CSV upload to do long-term planning for social media posting [GitHub Repository] (2018)
- Digital Exhibit: Theaters in Toledo: Past, Present, and Imagined (2020)
- Digital Exhibit: Public Library Buildings in Lucas County (2020)
- Digital Exhibit: Tour Of Collingwood Boulevard (2020)
- Digital Exhibit: Tour Of Downtown Toledo (2020)
- Digital Exhibit: Willow Beach Amusement Park (2020)
- Digital Exhibit: Toledo Women Lawyers History Project (2020)
- Digital Exhibit: Toledo Area Labor History (2019)
- Digital Exhibit: Lost Toledo (2019)
- Digital Exhibit: House Tours of the 2019 Old West End Festival (2019)
- Digital Exhibit: Toledo Area Jewish History (2019)
- Digital Exhibit: Northwest Ohio Wartime Correspondence (2018)
- Digital Exhibit: Teenage Views on Literature From the 1960s (2018)
- Digital Exhibit: Toledo, East of the Maumee River (2018)
- Digital Exhibit: The Wartime Diary of Elizabeth Frankowski (2018)
Ohio Digital Network
Outreach Working Group Primary Resource Sets
- Women’s Suffrage and the 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment (2019)
- The Underground Railroad in Ohio (2019)
Ohio State University Libraries
- University of Rochester, River Campus Libraries
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee, 2022 – present
- Community of Practice: Direct Communication, 2022 – 2023
- Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board
- Board Member, 2021
- Society of Ohio Archivists
- Nominating Committee, 2020 – 2021
- Northwest Ohio Cultural Heritage Group
- Founder and meeting organizer, 2018 – 2021
- Ohio Digitization Interest Group
- Planning Committee, 2018 – 2021
- Ohio Library Council
- Digital & Media Services Division, 2018 – 2020
- Ohio Digital Network
- Outreach Working Group, 2018 – 2020
- Community Engagement Center Representative for Public Libraries, 2019 – 2020
- Toledo Lucas County Public Library
- Onboarding Adult Services Librarians Work Group, 2021
- Public Scanning Station UX Work Group, 2021
- Adult Shared Programming Work Group, 2018 – 2019
- Staff Appreciation Work Group, 2018 – 2020
- Ohio State University Libraries
- Management Committee, 2017 – 2018
- Staff Advisory Council (Chair), 2017 – 2018
- Staff Advisory Council (Recorder), 2014 – 2017
- Faculty Search Committee for Scholarly Sharing Strategist, 2017
Authenticity Project – HBCU Library Alliance + CLIR’s Digital Library Federation
An IMLS-funded mentoring and professional development program for early- to mid-career HBCU library staff.
PeMento: Peer Mentoring for Mid-Career Library Workers
Cohort 2, Summer 2021
A seven-week peer mentorship program for mid-career library workers requiring an application.
Society of American Archivists Mentoring Program
Formal mentorship program, requiring an application, for SAA member archivists
Association for Library Collections and Technical Services Mentoring Program
Formal mentorship program, requiring an application, for members of ALCTS
Python for Everyone Specialization
Sequence of MOOC instruction offered through Coursera teaching the basics of Python programming
October – December 2020
Library Leadership Ohio
Competitive leadership training program sponsored by the State Library of Ohio and OhioNET
Certified Public Librarian
Certification of professional employment and development issued by the Ohio Library Council
June 2018 – May 2023
Current Organizational Memberships
- Society of Ohio Archivists
- Preserving the Personal Landing Page. johndewees.com, 2022
- File-Naming Till the End Times. johndewees.com, 2022
- Using PREMIS for Administrative Metadata. johndewees.com, 2022
- Migrating Digital Assets from Islandora to Preservica. johndewees.com, 2022
- Using Adobe Bridge and Photoshop to Process Files. [PDF] ohiodig.org, 2021
- Digitizing Materials on Flatbed Scanners Utilizing EPSON Scan. [PDF] ohiodig.org, 2021
- Adding Images to Wikipedia Articles via DPLA. johndewees.com, 2021
- Genealogical Records Sets Revisited. johndewees.com, 2020
- Getting Started With ORCID and LISSA. johndewees.com, 2020
- CONTENTdm: Uploading via Tab-Delimited Text File. johndewees.com, 2020
- The Digital Public Library of America. toledolibrary.org, 2020
- Quick-and-Dirty Email Archiving (But Different). johndewees.com, 2020
- Guest Post: Willow Beach Amusement Park. ohiodigitalnetwork.org, 2020
- My Home Office Reaches Its Final Form. johndewees.com, 2020
- Quick-and-Dirty Email Archiving. johndewees.com, 2020
- Taking in History at Home. toledolibrary.org, 2020
- Then-and-Now Photography Challenge, Week 3 of Social Distancing. toledolibrary.org, 2020
- Then-and-Now Photography Challenge, Week 2 of Social Distancing. toledolibrary.org, 2020
- My Setup for Working from Home. johndewees.com, 2020
- Then-and-Now Photography Challenge, Week 1 of Social Distancing. toledolibrary.org, 2020
- 2020 Goals: Genealogical Record Sets. johndeweescom, 2020
- XML Parsing Errors During FTP Upload to the Internet Archive. johndewees.com, 2020
- Fixing Large-Size/Low PPI Images for CONTENTdm Upload. johndewees.com, 2020
- November Then-and-Now Photography Challenge. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- New Tools Available for Exploring Our History. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- Exploring Toledo Through Its Architecture. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- October Then-and-Now Photography Challenge. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- “Self-Government is a Natural Right… toledolibrary.org, 2019
- September Then-and-Now Photography Challenge. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- Postcards from Frogtown: Exploring the Ken Levin Postcard Collection Online. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- New Options for Interacting With Our Digital Content. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- Northwest Ohio Wartime Correspondence Digital Exhibit. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- Digital Exhibit Showcasing Teenage Views on Literature From the 1960s. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- Historical Images, Right in Your Twitter Feed. toledolibrary.org, 2019
- Become a Part of Toledo’s History! toledolibrary.org, 2018
- Toledo Streets Newspaper Archive Now Available. toledolibrary.org, 2018
- New Digital Photos and How to Decorate With Them for Cheap. toledolibrary.org, 2018